Lemon Pots de Creme

Sunday 13 May 2018


I know that today is not Mother's Day here in the UK, they always celebrate that in March, however I have a foot in both worlds, and all of my family lives in Canada.  I always celebrate Mother's day in May, which is the way it has been for my whole life.  Its also not a day where I celebrate my own being a mother, but rather a day when I celebrate having my own mother, who is thankfully still with us and the STATE of motherhood, which includes anyone with maternal feelings. Are we not ALL mothers?  I think so  . . . anyone who cares for and loves others is indeed a mother in my books.


This is a photograph taken of my own mother when she was about 19 or 20 I believe. My mother has always been beautiful to me, and that has not changed.  It is more to do with what's inside than the outside.  My mother taught me all I needed to know about graciousness, honesty and integrity.  She taught me the value of hard work, and has been a great example to me of strength and determination, having survived a lot of things that would break most people, such as the breakdown of a marriage.  But even that she did with dignity. She and my father remain very good friends, which has made it all a lot easier for us, their children, to love them both equally. She is a double cancer survivor, having survived both breast and lung cancer.  She is like the Every Ready Bunny.  She might get knocked down, but she pulls herself up and then keeps going and going. I wish I did not live so far away from her. For years and years I lived close enough that we could always be there for each other and it pains me that, here in the Winter of her life, I find myself so far away.  I will be calling her this afternoon of course.  These phone calls are very precious to me, and I hope to her.  I call her twice a week now, and those talks are like small gifts to each of us, and even more so as she is now battling dementia.  Good days and bad days.  I cherish and value the good days.   

If I lived closer this is the dessert I would make for her.  Its simple and delicious and just enough for someone with a smaller appetite, and even for those with larger appetites, it is so rich that a little bit is all you really want!



They are beautifully flavoured rich little pots of a thick cream custard  . . . .


Flavoured with tart lemon and sweetly fragrant vanilla  . . .


I always add a bit of raspberry jam to the bottom of the pots, because  . . .  I love jam, and it goes very well with the lemon.


I like to serve it with fresh raspberries . . .  their ruby redness goes so lovely with the rich yellow of the lemon custard . . .  and of course their fresh tart/sweet flavour adds another layer of complexity to the dish.


Altogether they are very beautiful . . . the three . . .  the jam, that rich lemon vanilla creamy custard, the fresh berries  . . .


I like to dust them lightly with icing sugar  . . .


Its like adding a touch of lippy.  What woman would go out the door without a light touch of lippy.




Not me, that's who!


You will want to make these early in the day so that they can have several hours in the refrigerator to chill.  But they are very quick and simple to make other than that.



*Lemon Pots De Creme*
Serves 6 

Simple and yet so elegant.  I like to serve them ice cold with a few berries scattered over top. 

6 TBS raspberry preserves
480ml double cream (2 cups heavy cream)
1/2 vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
the peel and juice of one lemon (reserve the juice)
95g caster sugar (1/2 cup fine granulated sugar) 

To serve:
Fresh berries
icing sugar to dust




Pour the cream into a saucepan. Add the lemon peel.  Scrape in any caviar from the vanilla bean and throw in the spent bean.  Warm gently to a simmer, then let sit to infuse for 10 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Have ready 6 ramekins or small souflee dishes, and a roasting tin large enough to place them in with a bit of space between. Boil the kettle. Spoon 1 TBS of raspberry jam into the bottom of each ramekin.  Place them into a large roasting tin.


Beat the egg yolks with an electric whisk until they are light and lemony coloured. Whisk in the sugar, 1 TBS of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.  Strain the cream into a clean bowl and then slowly whisk it into the egg/sugar mixture, taking care to temper it with a bit of the warm cream first so that you don't end up with scrambled eggs. Make sure all are whisked well together.  Boil the kettle.


Pour the egg custard into a large measuring cup and then divide the custard between the prepared ramekins, carefully pouring it over top of the jam, taking as much care as possible not to mix the two together. Pour boiling water into the roasting tin to come up halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the tin with foil and then bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly set.
 

Remove from the pan and let them sit for half an hour before placing them into the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight.


When ready to serve top each with a few raspberries and a light dusting of icing sugar.  Enjoy!



Happy Mother's Day to all of you beautiful North American ladies out there.  Hope you are cherished and celebrated for just who you are!  Bon Appetit!


2 comments

  1. I love these too..
    Oh how grateful we are to have had..and have such absolutely wonderful ..loving..moms!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both well blessed in that way Monique! I wish you would have had your mum around for a lot longer than you did. ((((hugs)))) xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!