One Pan Pesto Fusilli

Wednesday 14 June 2017


In the warmer months, I don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so quick easy and things which don't heat up the whole kitchen are what I cook most of the time.  I like to spend more time outdoors in the garden, and eat things which are lighter and simpler.


This is a super simple dish and is quite, quite delicious.  It also makes use of things which most people have around most of the time. 


Things like pasta . . .  and pesto. I always have a jar of pesto in the cupboard, but in the summer I like to make my own. It's really VERY easy to make.  I have a recipe to make your own here.


That is when the basil in my garden is going mad and I have tons of it.  You can freeze it in Ice Cube trays and then pop the cubes out into zip lock baggies for use all year round if you wanted to. Easy Peasy.


Cherry tomatoes.  I always have them in the house as well. We eat a lot of them and in the summer, I grow my own also.  Ours are not ready yet, of course, but this is the perfect recipe for when they are, and in the meantime a good vine grown cherry tomato from the shops will work very well.


I use whole wheat pasta because I am a diabetic and it is better for diabetics to use whole wheat pasta.  But you can use ordinary pasta if you wish.  Just make sure it has lots of crevices and curves to hug all that lovely sauce.


Double cream. Something else I always have in the refrigerator, but here is a little secret I am going to let you in on . . .  low fat evaporated milk.  You can use that instead of double cream and cut down on the calories and fat no problem.  Works fine and with the pesto in the sauce you wouldn't be able to tell that you have used it by taste.  Seriously.


White wine. We don't drink alcohol in our home, but I always keep small bottles of white and red wine in my larder.  I think they contain what would be construed as a single serving for someone who drinks wine.  They are perfect for me because I know they will get used up quickly and won't go off.  They are not all that expensive either, a couple of pounds is all.


Mushrooms, and here is another true confession here.  I have discovered bags of frozen mushrooms.  They work perfectly in dishes where you are going to cook your mushrooms. You can pick up a bag of them at the grocery store in the frozen department.  In ASDA you can get a 600g bag for £1. They are a great store cupboard ingredient for something like this. They are loose frozen so you can just dump out as much as you need, and they come in very handy.


 
*One Pan Pesto Fusilli*
Serves 6

Quick, easy and delicious!  Perfect for those busy nights when you are lacking in time and inspiration! You can't get much easier than this! 

1 TBS olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (about a dozen)
115g button mushrooms, sliced (4 ounces)
129ml white wine (1/2 cup)
85ml double cream (1/3 cup heavy cream)
325g basil pesto (1 1/2 cups)
450g fusilli pasta (1 pound), cooked in lightly salted water and drained
(I used whole wheat)
salt and black pepper to taste
grated Parmesan Cheese to serve 

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over meidum high heat.  Add the tomatoes and mushrooms.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened nicely and the mushrooms are soft and tender.   Stir in the white wine, cream and pesto sauce.  Bring to a low simmer. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly.  Don't let it boil.  Stir in the cooked pasta and heat through.  Season to taste and serve hot, topped with Parmesan Cheese.



Another true confession.  I have even used tinned cherry tomatoes when I don't have fresh ones in the house (very rare, but it does happen from time to time) and this pasta dish still rocks!  A bit of cheese to garnish each serving and Bob's Your Uncle!  Dinner is served!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. :) You are a busy busy bee and we love that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guarantee you will love this Monique! It's really delicious! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh yes! This will be dinner tonight as I have everything I need and it looks so colourful and appealing! Yum, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in for a real treat Marie! I hope you enjoy it! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!