Roasted Potato Nachos

Thursday 10 March 2016

 photo DSCN5723_zpsmffj8vli.jpg

I make no secret of the fact.  I love LOVE Tex Mex Flavours . . . . chili, cumin, coriander . . .  cheese, olives, spring onions . . .  beans, corn.  Lime.  Interestingly enough Tex Mex was not a part of my growing up life.  I had never eaten anything even remotely resembling Tex Mex until my mother discovered Chili Con Carne . . .  a recipe taken from the back of a tomato soup tin. haha . . . not really chili at all, but yes, different than anything we were used to. 

 photo DSCN5724_zpst6okfvcs.jpg

Oh yes . . . I did live a very narrow culinary experience in my growing up years.  But then again  . . .  I think most people of my age did.  There just wasn't the freedom of trade between countries that we have now.  In these modern times the flavours of the world are literally our oyster!

 photo DSCN5725_zpsbkuichil.jpg

 I never had a nacho until I was visiting my sister one weekend, many, many years after we had grown up.  She made them as a treat for everyone and it literally was the beginning of a great love affair for me!  All those amazing flavours.  The spiciness . . .  the snap of the salsa along with the cool creaminess of sour cream for dipping.   The cheese . . . all of those tasty toppings that worked so well together. WOW.  She turned me onto nachos and I have been flirting with them ever since!

 photo DSCN5726_zpshvht93bg.jpg

 The Toddster has never been fond of nachos however.  He hates that they are crunchy.  They hurt his mouth to eat them, although he does quite like the toppings.  And so for a while now I have only ever indulged in these things when I am out and about . . .  until now.

  photo DSCN5727_zpsrnvswu6z.jpg

 Roasted Potato Nachos.   All of the flavours of regular nachos, but without the crunchy hard tortilla chips as the base.  Instead you have crispy on the outsides, tender on the insides . . . moreish chunks of roasted potato.  Lightly seasoned with my own Taco seasoning mix prior to roasting . . .

 photo DSCN5728_zps4kzttqpn.jpg

Topped and layered with plenty of cheese and a mix of black beans and chopped tomatoes, again spiced with my own homemade taco seasoning . . .  roasted again, until heated through and the cheese is scrummy gooey melted . . .  and then topped finally with all of my favourite nacho toppings . . .  chopped spring onions, sliced green and black olives, chopped green and red peppers . . .

 photo DSCN5730_zpsdoxaylpg.jpg

 And served up hot . . .  along with some sour cream/yogurt and guacamole for dolloping on top. This is one dish you will enjoy sinking your fork and your teeth into.   Todd really enjoyed these!  No surprise there!  I just love it when that happens!

  photo DSCN5732_zpsiotolfk9.jpg

 It makes me happy when he's happy and I need never worry about breaking a tooth on a hard tortilla chips again.  Don't laugh, it has happened to me and it's no fun!  As you get older, your nashers just ain't what they used to be!

 photo DSCN5733_zpsib2dofiu.jpg

*Roasted Potato Nachos*
Serves 4

These are quite simply delicious.  Feel free to add whatever toppings you wish.  I served ours with guacamole and some plain yogurt.  I also like to sprinkle green and black olives on top, along with spring onions and chopped peppers.  I make my own Taco seasoning.  You can find the recipe at the lower side of my right hand side bar. 

4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
a drizzle of olive oil
1 tsp taco seasoning 

To top:
1 400g tin of black beans, drained and rinsed and drained again (14 ounces)
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, drained and rinsed and drained again (14 ounces)
1 tsp  taco seasoning 

You will also need:
240g of grated cheese (2 cups)
(I used a low fat mix of orange and white strong cheddar) 

You will also need whatever additional toppings you enjoy.
I used chopped spring onions, chopped peppers, chopped green and black olives, etc.)
Sour cream, Salsa, Guacamole (optional) 


 photo DSCN5734_zpsziajkezt.jpg

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/gas mark 6.  Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Toss the potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and the taco seasoning.  Scatter them ober the baking tray.   Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes until  fork tender and golden brown, stirring them once or twice.  Remove from the oven.


While the potatoes are roasting, stir together the beans and chopped tomatoes along with the taco seasoning.  Set aside.  Chop any vegetable garnishes you will be needing and grate the cheese.



Have ready a shallow baking dish.  Place half of the potatoes into the dish.  Top with half of the bean and tomato mixture and half of the cheese.  Top with the remaining potatoes and then the last of the bean mixture and cheese.  Return to the oven for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese.  Top with your favourite toppings and serve!

 photo DSCN5735_zps9m1fyo8c.jpg

 These really are very good.   If you really wanted to take a short cut you could use oven chips or wedges instead of roasting your own potatoes.  Those would be very delicious also!

Thanks for looking!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. What an inspired recipe! I love the bright colours and the different textures which makes it look so appetising. Another to add to next week's list :-)

    I think I must have been in my 30s before I'd tried Tex Mex flavours. They were pretty unknown in Australia until the mid 1980s when those Old El Paso taco meals arrived. I liked the flavours, but hated the tacos, which either broke while you tried to eat them, or spilled out of the sides. However do people eat them without wearing half the contents? In the end, I'd make up the taco mix and break up the taco shells and sprinkle them over the top of the meat/bean mixture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! It is a compromise between what I want to eat and what Todd can eat! And it's pretty tasty! Those hard shells, I don't know how people eat them without making a mess. I prefer soft tacos myself! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So colorful! There is nothing you cannot do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH thanks so much Monique! We all learn and share with each other. You are the Mistress of beautiful presentation! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!