Chicken Rarebits with Melted Leeks

Wednesday 30 March 2016

 photo DSCN6007_zpsmblwgwdq.jpg

One thing I really love about chicken breasts is their complete versatility and ability to take on other flavours easily.  They are like a blank canvas for  an abundance flavours, textures and ingredients . . .  so long as you don't dry them out.  Over-cooked, they are quite tasteless and not very pleasant to eat at all.

 photo DSCN6008_zpsnbpdfdxk.jpg

I saw a recipe a number of weeks back for Welsh Rarebit with melting leeks and I thought to myself, oh boy that would be so good with chicken.  I wish I could remember where the Welsh Rarebit recipe was . . . but I can't remember. It might have been here.

 photo DSCN6009_zpst9g6pj0x.jpg

Anyways, the idea stuck with me and I thought of my favourite recipe for Chicken Breasts which is Cheesy  Chicken Rarebits . . .  and I thought how very good it would be if I was to adapt the idea of using melting leeks  in much the same way.

 photo DSCN6010_zpsy1govgjj.jpg

And it turned out so fabulously it is now also a favourite recipe for using chicken breasts.  I really hope that you will try it out for yourself.  I think you'll see I am right when I say that this is truly delicious!

 photo DSCN6014_zpsaki9aved.jpg

And not only that, but very simple to make.  I think these are also good enough to serve to company.  In fact I dare say I wouldn't hesitate!!

  photo DSCN6012_zpsc2b43ufj.jpg

*Chicken Rarebits with Melted Leeks*
Serves 4

A deliciously rich and indulgent chicken dish, which is simple to make and uses simple ingredients.  I like to serve it with boiled new potatoes (or mash) and a green vegetable on the side. 


4 skinless, boneless free range chicken breasts
70g strong cheddar cheese, grated (2/3 cup)
70g gruyere cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
1 rounded dessertspoon of grainy Dijon mustard
85 ml single cream (3 fluid ounces)
2 leeks, washed thoroughly and thinly sliced
1 TBS butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Chopped parsley to garnish 


 photo DSCN6025_zpsrlhelqwe.jpg

Melt the butter in a large skillet.  Add the leeks and cook, over medium low heat, stirring regularly, until nicely softened (without browning).  This should take 7 to 10 minutes.  Remove from the pan to a bowl and set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F.  Slice the chicken breasts through the middle almost all the way, leaving a bit of a hinge at one end.  Fan them out and place them into a lightly oiled shallow baking dish.  (Make sure it is large enough to hold all of the chicken breasts in a single layer.)  Season them lightly with some salt and pepper. 


 photo DSCN6026_zpszalxo75m.jpg

 
Once the leeks have cooled to lukewarm, stir in the cheeses, cream and Dijon mustard.  Spoon this mixture evenly over top of the chicken.  No need to smooth it down, it works fine in dollops.  Bang it into the oven and bake it for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken i cooked through and the juices run clear.  You should have a lovely cheesy leek sauce in the dish.
Divide the chicken amongst four heated plates, spooning some of the leek mixture over top of each.  Garnish with parsley if desired.

 photo DSCN6029_zpsgkraqzak.jpg

This ticks all the boxes.  Simple to make.   Using simple ingredients.  Quick and easy.  Delicious.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. This looks really tasty. I love the combination of flavours that you've chosen and as luck would have it, chicken breasts are on special this week, so I will be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go Marie! It had to have been meant to be! Hope you enjoy it! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I better Google rarebits:) Looks scrummy as ou would say:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welsh rarebit is a cheese toast. I use chicken breasts as the base in this rather than bread Monique! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!