Tuna, White Bean and Potato Salad

Friday 22 August 2014

 photo SAM_6690_zps3fbf26c9.jpg

We have a lovely girl staying with us at the moment from Spain.   She is working at the hospital and so I have been making her a lunch to take with her each day.  Today, in my quest to get away from sandwiches, I made her a deliciously different salad for a change.


  photo SAM_6692_zps89eff0b1.jpg

Brown bagging it can get quite boring if you don't make an effort to shake things up once in a while and this delicious salad is the perfect way to do just that.   It makes good use of store cupboard ingredients such as tinned Cannellini Beans  and tinned tuna.   The flavours of the tuna really shine in this salad, so you really want to use a better quality one.  I like to use Albacore tuna for a dish such as this.

 photo SAM_6691_zpsba278c68.jpg

Along with the beans and tuna I made good use of the fresh ingredients I had to hand . . .  lovely baby new potatoes, fresh sweet bell peppers (in this case green), ripe baby plum tomatoes, a shallot . . .

  photo SAM_6692_zps89eff0b1.jpg

A handful of green olives . . .  I like the Crespo ones which come in a little foil pack which are pitted and have been marinated with garlic and herbs . . .  and a punchy vinaigrette dressing. 


 photo SAM_6698_zpse5bebfe9.jpg

The dressing is made using extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, garlic, ground cumin and some tasty Spanish smoked paprika for a bit of punch and a subtle smokey flavour.   I also seasoned the salad well with some fine sea salt and cracker black pepper and threw in a small handful of chopped flat leaf parsley.

 photo SAM_6695_zps99d1996e.jpg

Altogether I was quite pleased with the results and I hope that she was too.   I really felt it was a nice combination of flavours, colours and textures.   It was also really tasty.  Much better than another ham sandwich, I thought.  Plus, it's also good for a packed lunch as there is no mayonnaise in it and as long as it is well chilled when you put it into your brown bag and keep it in a dark cool place it will be just perfect at room temperature for lunch time.

  photo SAM_6689_zps3c63a2b8.jpg 

*Tuna, White Bean and Potato Salad*
Serves 4  

A delicious salad, perfect for packing into lunches, with beautiful flavours and a tiny bit of spark. 
 
500g baby new potatoes (1 pound)
1/2 a green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
8 baby plum tomatoes, chopped coarsely and drained
1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
12 whole pitted green olive
1 400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (14 ounce tin)
180g of albacore tuna packed in oil, drained and broken into chunks (6 ounces)
2 TBS finely chopped flat leaf parsley
4 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 TBS sherry vinegar
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Spanish Smoked Paprika
1 tsp salt
1/3 tsp freshly ground black pepper 

Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water to cover, until fork tender.  Drain and cool.  Peel and cut into quarters.  Place the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper into a jar.  Cover and shake to combine.  Place the potatoes into a bowl along wit the green pepper, chopped tomatoes, beans, tuna, olives and parsley.  Gently toss to combine.  Serve at room temperature.

3 comments

  1. Marie..she will never leave:)What a lucky girl to have landed in your home..I can see the care:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salad looks delicious, Marie.

    Sounds like a good idea for my next work lunch now all the fresh produce from the garden is ready

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she is quite happy with us Monique, at least I hope that she is! I don't think she is too fond of the British weather. It's quite a change from sunny and hot Spain!

    Thanks Darlene! I hope that you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!