Peanut Butter Cake 4 One

Sunday 25 September 2016

 photo DSCN9165_zpsiay3fjs4.jpg

It's been almost a year since I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic and I would be lying to you if I didn't say that it has been a real struggle.  Coping with this along with Diverticulitis, IBS and other health issues means that putting anything into my mouth is a bit like playing Russian Roulette.  No fun.  It definitely hasn't been easy.  I have managed to keep the Diabetes under control and take myself back to pre-diabetic glucose levels . . .  the other things I never know from one day to the next what is going to set things off.   I just think I got a handle on it and bingo!  Surprise, surprise, something else will trigger an attack.

 photo DSCN91651_zpspxcwgqt3.jpg

The struggle has been compounded by the fact that I live with the stick-man who has a problem keeping weight on, so I cannot ban treats from him, and why should he suffer really for the misdeeds of my own youth . . . I bake treats for him quite often. The difficulty has been in keeping away from them myself.  Not fair, but a fact of life.

 photo DSCN9167_zps0jxuu7yf.jpg

And then I discovered this . . .  a Peanut Butter Cake which is flourless and sugarless and completely diabetic friendly.  I am in heaven.  This is a treat I CAN enjoy!

  photo DSCN9168_zpsqhqnpspz.jpg

I adore peanut butter.   I like Skippy mainly, but use that as an occasional treat.  Most of the time I eat sugar free peanut butter.  That is what I used for this.  Sugar free peanut butter.

 photo DSCN9169_zpstml0r5w0.jpg

The chemistry of cooking has always fascinated me.   How you can take a few simple ingredients, which on their own might not be all that remarkable, but when mixed together become something quite deliciously edible.   This cake is one of those things.  To a diabetic it was a bit of manna from heaven. Peanut Butter heaven.  For the chocolate syrup I used Choc Shot which is low GI, Diabetic friendly and GM and gluten free.

 photo DSCN9170_zps5n8o9zfg.jpg


*Flourless Peanut Butter Cake*
Serves 1
A single serving cake that cooks in the microwave in a minute and is diabetic friendly!  It's quite delicious actually!  You can have it plain, or with a bit of diabetic vanilla ice cream, or some sugar free chocolate syrup.  Very good.  Nom nom! 

2 TBS sugar free peanut butter
1 TBS sugar sustitute
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 large free range egg, beaten
(can use 1/4 cup egg substitute)
To garnish:
sugar free chocolate syrup
diabetic vanilla ice cream
sugar free low fat spray cream 
 photo DSCN9171_zpsx9g2adzx.jpg

Spray a 10 to 12 ounce microwaveable mug with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.  Whisk the cake ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and well combined.  Pour into the prepared mug.  Microwave for 60 to 65 seconds, or until th centre is set completely.  (My microwave takes about 50 seconds.)  Allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes.  Garnish with your favourite garnish and enjoy!


 photo DSCN9174_zpsl7kgxk1d.jpg

 Gluten free. Sugar Free.  Vegan friendly.  A diabetic's dream.  Who knew?

 photo DSCN9172_zpsc5lbwb7i.jpg 

Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. Happy you found something to treat yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's not quite as nice as a regular cake, but I'll take it Monique! A treat I can enjoy every now and then! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!